No. 72 of 2015’s 100 Poems.
A setting of floatfloafloflf, by E. E. Cummings.
A work in 8 connected movements.
- long, sustained tones
- aperiodic glissandi on a single word, breathy vocalizations
- variations on inhalations and exhalations; wild glissandi
- open form section featuring sung and spoken text
- indeterminate and determined pitches; glissandi as in 2.
- a graph which determines the dynamics and duration of 15 possible morpheme combinations
- very quiet spoken and sung text
- a large pause; natural speech and sprechstimme
The overall effect of the piece is the audible representation of the way the text in written on the page.